Monday, September 24, 2012

Hacking Hakko FX-888 - with a common cathode LED

I've got Hakko FX-888 as my main working tool. Great tool, one thing is annoying though - you can't tell at a glance if it's on or off. I decided I'll hack it as Dave brilliantly suggested in this post: EEVblog #242 – Hakko FX-888 Soldering Iron Hack. However I didn't check before ordering and got myself a bunch of common cathode LEDs. Gosh, had to think myself :-)

OK, just in case you'll need I'll save you some minutes. Here's the schematics:
You'll also have to short the 2k2 resistor on PCB, or replace it with 0 Ohm jumper. Have a look at the video Dave posted for an idea on how to mount this within Hakko body (heat glue gun of course).

Happy soldering!
Cheers!

2 comments:

neuromonkey said...

Does your solution have the PWM flicker that Dave's did? Could you post pics of your build?

dccharacter said...

Hi! I'm not sure I understand what PWM flicker you are talking about. Can you post a link or timing on the video I can refer to?

As for pics, I've got the thing assembled and would hate to get it apart again. But believe me, from outside it looks the same as before hack. And from inside it looks very much like Dave's. Glue gun rules :-)